Quick Home Energy Check-Up (QHEC)
Maryland Public Service Commission has authorized utilities BGE, Pepco and Delmarva to offer a Quick Home Energy Check-Up (QHEC) to homeowners and residents at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE to your existing utility service. This benefit falls in line with EMPOWER Maryland energy reduction initiative and provides Maryland’s residents with the opportunity to reduce home energy costs.
During a QHEC, an energy auditor will assess your current energy use through quick in-home assessment choices and replace them with more energy and water efficient options where needed. These include:
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs): CFLs use 75% less energy than regular light bulbs and last ten times longer!
- Smart Power Strips: Stop standby power loss, such as radios, etc.
- Aerators for Kitchen and Bathroom Sinks: Reduces water use by 50%.
- Efficient-flow Showerheads*: Reduce the amount of water used in showers by 25% or more.
- Water Heater Pipe Insulation*: Reduces heat loss while transporting water to various faucets in the home.
- Electric Water Tank Wrap*: Keeps the water warmer in your tank.
* for customers with electric water heaters only.
These simple replacements can save you on your monthly utility bill. And the great thing is there is NO ADDITIONAL COSTS TO YOU!!